In this blog post, I write about how it was easy to create custom gold foil embossed place cards at home! It was somewhat frustrating at first (and took a lot of trial and error) but in the end I managed to get it to work the way I wanted it to! Since we had a blush and gold theme with florals and ribbons, these place cards had a personal touch and were just the perfect fit for our wedding style.
Unfortunately, it was SUPER windy up on the top of the cliff (something I failed to think about!) Even our floating pool candles had trouble staying lit and all the hours of cutting heart confetti went to waste because I couldnâ€™t put any of them out. Also, the hand sewn blush blossoms I made out of chiffon and tulle which I put on top of our wedding favours kept blowing away!
Because it was so windy, we couldnâ€™t put out our wedding placecards sitting the way I wanted it to. Instead, they were placed underneath our mirror runners that went across the dining tables. It still looked super lovely and some of our guests even took the place cards home ðŸ™‚
Now you know how they look, here is how I made them!
- Card stock paper
- Thermal Gold Foil (I used Deco Foil in Rose Gold)
- Laminator (I used the Scotch Thermal Laminator)
- Laser B&W Printer
- Inkjet Printer (optional for printed background)
- Ribbon (optional)
Hereâ€™s how you do it:
- Create the design you wish to emboss in gold foil and print this out on your card stock paper on a laser printer. TIP: I tried creating the design in Photoshop but it actually turned out better in Word! I also found that different printers work differently and that monochrome laser printers work the best!
- Place your gold foil on top of the card stock and run it through the laminator. TIP: I found that running it through 2-3 times worked best for me to set the foil to the paper!
- Peel off the gold foil slowly and youâ€™ll see that the foil has stuck to your laser print, yay!
- Create your coloured design in Photoshop (for me, it was the text on the back of the place card as well as the floral edges which I wanted to give colour to the design.
- Print your design directly on the place cards to give it more colour.
- Tie the gold ribbon around and youâ€™re done. YAY!
For more information on DIY embossing, check out these articles here and here! Good luck and happy embossing!