If you’ve been following us here on my blog and personal social media accounts (twitter: @littleladylove and instagram: @littleladylove) you will already know that we got engaged in Muskoka. I can’t believe how quickly time has passed, it’s been almost a year since then! We got engaged in September and it’s now almost the end of August. At the time of our engagement, I was very overwhelmed by the thought of planning a wedding on top of taking care of everyone elses! My clients have been my focus and it’s been so hard to change my priorities! I honestly thought I had so much time to plan for my wedding. We decided on May 15 2016, the exact date of our fifth year anniversary and then soon realized I had to make decisions quickly if I wanted certain things even though I really didn’t want to make any decisions yet!
We knew that we wanted to get married overseas. Somewhere that was closer to my home, Australia and my birth home, Malaysia. After a bit of contemplation, we decided on Bali – a place that we’ve both never been before but are very excited about! I then quickly realized how much I needed to make decisions when I wanted to make a booking for our venue and they had multiple inquiries for the same month. I was so overwhelmed by choosing a venue that I couldn’t visit and had to rely on photos online.
Being a wedding photographer myself, I wanted to see all the angles, if the lighting would be good at certain times of the day, if there was enough space, if it had clean and beautiful backdrops for photos, if it was close to locations that I wanted to have our wedding photos (I really wanted to be close to the rocky beaches that had amazing sunsets!). Since we have never been to Bali ourselves, we relied on our photographer, Marcus Bell at Studio Impressions (I have previously blogged about our experience in choosing our own wedding photographer) to give us a bit of advice since he is so familiar with the area, having photographed so many weddings there over the years!
- I wanted a private villa as opposed to a resort because I wanted our wedding to be intimate. I didn’t like the prospect of unknowing resort guests watching or the extra noise. I also didn’t want to be hurried by resort staff as they often try to fit as many weddings there in the one day!
- I wanted a cliff edge venue because it’s so unique to Bali! We knew that we could have had a beautiful ceremony on the beach and while it would have made for some amazing photos, we wanted something that really represented Bali.
- I wanted a venue with an amazing sunset. I just love sunset photos (if you have seen my work, you will notice this too!). As already mentioned, Villa Anugrah has a south westerly view and I can’t wait to witness Bali’s famous sunsets! It is also super close to head down to a rocky beach at sunset too.
- I wanted a venue that my fiance and I could both get ready at comfortably with our families, have our Chinese tea ceremony, western ceremony, cocktails and reception. Having been to so many weddings, we know how stressful it is to travel from location to location. We wanted our wedding to be as relaxing and as enjoyable as possible. We wanted to spend as much time with our friends and family. Removing the travel time in between made so much sense to us. Villa Anugrah is a four bedroom villa so we could get ready apart from each other but still be somewhat close so that we can have our Chinese tea ceremony quickly and then get ready again separately so we don’t see each other until our ceremony.
- I wanted a venue that had open space and a beautiful relaxing setting that would make beautiful wedding photos. Villa Anugrah is nice and open that we can have both our ceremony and reception outdoors by the cliff that overlooks the Indian ocean. I looked at wedding photos that were taken both inside and outside and it has so much light and clean backdrops. Yay!
As as you can see, so much thought went into choosing this venue and I can’t wait to finally see it in person! Keep updated with us on the blog and I’ll later post about how we found our Toronto wedding venue and how the rest of our wedding planning is going!